Thursday, March 6, 2014

ASLC Devotions - Thursday

Romans 1:6

including yourselves who are called to belong to Jesus Christ,

Each of Paul’s letters to various budding faith communities begins with a lengthy greeting that reminds the reader of his faith journey and challenges them to grow their faith.  In today’s reading he reminds us that we are called to be Christians.  Being called.  I’ve known that term for years but I will admit to never seriously applying that term to my own life until pondering this reading.

What am I called to be?

While I aim to exceed expectations as a husband, father and employee, I would not compare that to those whom I see as called in their lives; preachers, missionaries, and the like. 

But am I called to be a Christian?

My parents, being good Christians, raised me up in the faith and as a result I have regularly attended worship because that’s the way it’s done.  However, there have been a few of periods where I just got out of the habit of going to worship.  As the weeks turned into months that then turned to years, my spirituality and connectedness to God would slowly begin to fade.  Eventually, I would begin to miss that relationship with both God and a faith community.  Since returning to God (Because He never left me!) here at All Saints, I can see that was God getting active in my life during that period and leading the way. He was calling me back. 

So yes, I am called to be a Christian.

John Nicholas

P.S. If you’re reading this, you are called too.

Today we begin sharing the offerings of members of All Saints who worked together to create a daily Lenten devotional book. For Ash Wednesday, we hear the words of Jesus. Join us for worship today at noon and 7 pm. Then, Sunday morning at 8:30 and 11. Visit http://www.allsaintspalatine.org for full calendar and information and respond to this email message to request to be removed from our distribution list.

No comments:

Post a Comment