Monday, March 10, 2014

ASLC Devotions - Monday

Hebrews 2:18

Because He Himself suffered when He was tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted.

I have a hard time wrapping my arms around the concept that Jesus was human, yet He never sinned. How is that human? That He was tempted, but never caved in? I can only speak for myself, but I am tempted and sin so many times in one day, that I can’t fathom NEVER caving in !!!

Then, the more I think about it, the key word is “suffered”. Jesus suffered just like any other human. Maybe He had some of these thoughts: “Do I go and take a regular job so I can live in one place, have a nice home and raise a family and not travel”. “Isn’t there more to life than hanging out with the poor and the sinners. Can’t I find a better suited crowd?” “I’ve changed my mind God, I’m going on vacation and going to skip some of these miracles.”

Yes, those are silly thoughts that Our Savior would think. His sufferings were much deeper. “How do I watch my people worship idols, persecute each other, not care for the poor and ill. How Father, do I get all this work done in time?”

But He did. He NEVER caved in. He suffered, He died, He rose to Our Father in Heaven. He did it for us humans that don’t have the power to do it for ourselves. Thanks be to Jesus!

Linda Kinsella

This Lent, we are sharing the offerings of members of All Saints who worked together to create a daily Lenten devotional book. Join us for worship Sunday morning at 8:30 and 11. Wednesday, we will have supper at 6:15 and worship at 7 as we meet Matthew in our series "Christ on Trial." Visit http://www.allsaintspalatine.org for full calendar and information and respond to this email message to request to be removed from our distribution list.

No comments:

Post a Comment